Viruses and the Immune System
Get to know the viruses—how they live, how they affect human physiology, and how the immune system responds to them.
This class will teach you about the viral life cycle, as well as effective, natural ways to support your health during infection, and how to return the body to a balanced state.
You'll learn the details of the immune system, including immune system response, specific and non-specific immunity, and how stress can influence these vital functions. We'll also teach you how olfaction impacts the central nervous system, and about the dynamics of the stress response, in a way that's accessible and fun.
This class has two instructors—Andrea Butje, founder of Aromahead Institute, and Cindy Black, founder of Big Tree School of Natural Healing. Andrea and Cindy both have a down-to-earth teaching style that makes tough concepts easy to grasp.
In this class, you'll benefit directly from Andrea and Cindy's decades of practice and study of health and Aromatherapy. As with all their classes, Viruses and the Immune System is practical, innovative, and fun!
Meet Your Instructor
Andrea Butje, founder of Aromahead Institute, is an internationally recognized Aromatherapist who is changing the educational paradigm through her inspired approach to teaching online and creating community.
One of the most innovative online schools in the country, the Institute's elegant and intuitive classroom design makes navigating online learning a uniquely user-friendly experience.
The Aromahead Institute meets the rigorous training and certification qualifications of three highly respected organizations: the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy, the Alliance of International Aromatherapists, and the International Institute for Complementary Therapists.
Since 1999, Aromahead Institute has had an extensive alumni network of international graduates who have gone on to pursue successful careers and businesses rooted in the vast network of the healing arts profession.
As a consultant to importers of high-quality essential oils, Andrea travels the world, building relationships with distillers and small organic farmers. In 2013, Andrea won the Alliance of International Aromatherapists's Lifetime Achievement Award for her innovative, heartfelt work in educating and connecting people involved in all aspects of the Aromatherapy industry—from distillers, to renowned authors, to beginners in the study.
Meet Your Instructor
Cindy pioneered the innovative Meridian Massage method and is the founder and lead instructor at Big Tree School of Natural Healing. Her work is focused on teaching Massage Therapists how to incorporate Chinese Medicine into their practices.
Andrea and Cindy founded the Finger Lakes School of Massage in 1994. Cindy served as the lead anatomy instructor. She quickly developed a reputation for her ability to easily navigate students through even the most complicated subjects.
Cindy's love of teaching is only matched by her love of learning. She went on to study acupuncture, earning her master's degree in Chinese Medicine in 2007. She continues her study and practice of Chi Nei Tsang, Qi Gong, the I Ching and Yoga.
In addition to the classes she offers through Big Tree School of Natural Healing, Cindy teaches the Aromahead Institute's Anatomy and Physiology course. Andrea and Cindy co-teach two of Aromahead's online classes: Aromatherapy for Massage Therapists and Viruses and the Immune System.
12 common viruses are presented in detail, along with recommendations (where appropriate) for using essential oils to combat infection.
•Herpes Simplex 1,2,3,4
•2009 H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
•Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
•Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
You'll learn a holistic model that supports medical practitioners in creating appropriate interventions for viral infections. Every individual who seeks a practitioner's services is unique, and thinking holistically about each person's situation can enhance a practitioner's effectiveness.
Methods for intervening in chronic and acute infections are covered. You'll also learn how to prevent the spread of viruses, nourish and protect your Vital Energy, and support health in the face of long-term immune deficiency syndromes.
As with all Aromahead Institute courses, the material is presented in an accessible, friendly format that helps the learner understand complicated scientific theory.
Goals and Objectives
- Upon completion of this class, you will:
- Understand the general structures and life cycles of viruses, and develop a strong platform for considering how to prevent or treat viral infections.
- You'll learn the structure of each of the 12 viruses, how they enter the human body, and how the body responds to the infection.
- Learn how the immune system works in order to understand what the symptoms that arise during a viral infection really mean.
- Understand both the broader immune system (which is made up of many systems) and immune response. The immune response is a very focused reaction by some very specialized players—the T-cells and B-cells.
- Develop techniques for supporting the immune system's natural functions, both to prevent infections, and to return to health once an infection has set in.
This is an entry-level, in-depth class, open to all learners. No previous Aromatherapy training is required.
In this innovative, self-study course, you will learn a holistic model for treating viral infections, how to use essential oils to support and protect your health against viral infections, and how to improve your health once an infection has set in.
Your Viruses and the Immune System
- Access to exclusive online course materials organized into five guided lessons and an Orientation.
- 29 original Aromatherapy recipes and blends developed by Andrea Butje specifically for preventing viral infections, and for supporting your health if you do have a viral infection.
- Information on psychoneuroimmunology (PNI), and how our thoughts and emotions affect our immune systems.
- 15% off discount on all essential oils, carrier oils, butters, bottles, supplies, and specific blending kits from Aromatics International for six months after you register.
- Permanent unlimited access to all course materials, including any updates to the content, even after you have completed the program.
- You have permanent unlimited access to all the course materials and any subsequent updates to the course content, even after you have completed the program.
- Start the class the moment you complete your registration.
- Work at your own pace and on your own timeline.
- Interact with the Aromahead team along with all Aromahead students and graduates on an online forum where you can ask questions.
- Approved for 21 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the NCBTMB and in Florida.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs):
This program is approved for Massage Therapy by the NCBTMB and in Florida for 21 hours.
Pay in Full
- Total Tuition: $250
I took Viruses and the Immune System becase I've gotten cold sores all my life. So I decided to be proactive and learn about what was really happening in my body, and how to fight off bugs naturally. This class did not disappoint! There was even a lesson specifically about the cold sore virus. I'm pleased to say I haven't had a cold sore since I took the class and started using the essential oil suggestions!
- Leslie Hedrick
I took the virus class around the time the FDA sent letters out to two separate companies regarding misrepresentation of essential oils. I found this class very enlightening when it comes to viruses, how the viruses function, their course, and other details that ultimately guide the Aromatherapist to the proper use of essential oils. I would recommend this fantastic class for beginning Aromatherapists as well!
- Lola King
Understanding "virus language" always felt confusing until I encountered Aromahead's easy to use course. Once again Andrea Butje and Cindy Black give excellent perspective on how to support and nourish the whole body while understanding the physiological facts of our immune system. I love having access to this course at my fingertips. Thank you for this empowering tool for vibrant health.
- Christina Polnyj-Pollman
I really enjoyed the Viruses and the Immune System class. Andrea and Cindy offer such helpful and clear information on how to nourish and protect the body from viruses. I am so relieved to now have strategies to support my own health according to the three treatment approaches presented in the course. I love the essential oil suggestions at the end of the class and have already tried several of them. Thank you so much for this incredible program!
- Keith Morgan
Knowledge of anatomy and physiology is suggested but not required.
Supplies are not included for this course.
At the end of the class we offer some suggestions for essential oil blends. If you wish to purchase any of these oils, Aromatics International offers a 15% off discount on all essential oils and supplies to Aromahead students for six months after registration.